Gear Console Re-Revisited
Do It Yourself: Yes
I revisited gear console area today. A few enhancements needed in this area due to “Low Option” approach adopted in assembling the 206 Bestari. What I am trying do is to replicate as close as possible to CBU 206 especially 1.4 TU3JP/KFW model. In the last DIY, I managed to fix back the missing glovebox lighting and for this time around, I will be adding in two new features which are missing in my car.
Note: These enhancements are solely to provide a higher comfort level for driver and passengers and it is just an option or “nice to have thing” only.
The glovebox lighting power source need to be tapped from other supply. In the last DIY, this fitting was tapped from ashtray lighting power source. The reasons being are as follow:
- The glovebox lighting is dependent on the car light state, it will only provide illumination if I switch on the light thus it will be useless if I wanted to see something in the dark without switching on the headlights.
- A new enhancement (as explained later in this article) requires ashtray lighting power source.
I have no option but to use another 12v source to power up the glovebox lighting and the easiest way is by tapping from cigarette lighter.
Additional cable needed to extend the length of the current cable. From the image above, only the middle and rightmost cable are required for the 12v+ and ground respectively. The leftmost cable is to provide illumination for the cigarette lighter ring and furthermore, it provides illumination signal for my headunit dimmer function.
I have fixed a new Molex 2-pin T connector to connect back to existing cable and to provide an easy way to disconnect it in event of dashboard dismantling task.
I managed to source out ashtray bulb socket from the breaker yard. As picture below, this is the most hardest part to find unless you opt for a new part.
Foot Well Air Flow
Next, I will adding in additional foot well air flow. To achieve this, I need to replace the entire front section of the gear console with another unit that has additional air conditioning ducting.
The donor car which I got the replacement was a 1.4 pre-plex model from either HK or UK.
The original HVAC unit from Bestari do have the additional ducting for this purpose but it was completely sealed off. The only way is to drill out the plate to let the air out.
Since I’m doing quite a major operation in this area, thus I proceed to make some adjustment to my gear lever base. The issue here is the gear plastic surrounding trim is not properly flush into the gear console cover. Sometimes, with a slight force, the surrounding will detach itself a little from the console. I have to press the trim once a while. This modification requires me to trim off some plastics clips and to make the chrome plate (which has the gear lettering) to sit lower than usual.
The gear lever parts; Top left – surrounding trim, top right – bottom plate which house the “Sport” & “Winter” mode switch, bottom right – the chrome plate, bottom left – the gear knob. Middle – gear lever base
Leave a Reply